Kenya offers to lead security mission in Haiti


Kenya’s foreign minister has announced his country is ready to lead a multinational force to help restore order in Haiti.

The Caribbean nation has been overwhelmed by gang violence:

  • Gangs now control 80% of the capital Port-au-Prince, with the remaining 20% widely seen as disputed territory, and
  • Communities have formed vigilante groups in response, killing more than 160 gang members according to one estimate.

This is all compounded by food scarcity, inequality, and political instability.

Intrigue’s take: So why hasn’t the world sent a deployment already?

Well… it has (multiple times). And that’s part of the problem. The last mission (led by the UN) withdrew in 2019 after it was linked to a devastating cholera outbreak and sexual violence. And there are claims these interventions have also helped corrupt local leaders cling to power.

As a result, many of Haiti’s 12 million people oppose the idea of a new intervention, preferring longer-term and Haitian-led solutions. It’s just hard to see these solutions taking shape without some basic security in place first.

Also worth noting:

Latest Author Articles
US allies hold breath as House readies vote on security assistance bills

After months of deadlock, US Speaker of the House Mike Johnson says he’ll bring a key $95B military aid package to a vote as soon as tomorrow (Saturday).

19 April, 2024
Microsoft invests $1.5B in UAE AI firm after secret US government talks

US tech giant Microsoft has announced it’ll invest $1.5B in G42, the leading artificial intelligence (AI) firm in the UAE. The “strategic investment”, which gives Microsoft a minority stake in the company, aims to further the UAE’s ambitions as an AI hub while bringing yet another leading AI firm into Washington’s orbit.

17 April, 2024
Modi unveils election manifesto as ~1 billion Indians prepare to vote

Few world leaders enter a re-election campaign as sure of winning as Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, but that’s no excuse to slack off. So last Sunday, just before voting kicks off this Friday, his Bharatiya Janata Party (Indian People’s Party, or BJP) unveiled its election manifesto named Modi’s Guarantee.

16 April, 2024
Could the US let WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange walk free? 

President Joe Biden just said the US is “considering” Australia’s request to end the pursuit of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, a move that could close over 14 years of legal and diplomatic drama. 

12 April, 2024